alrighty friends, it has been a while since i’ve posted a recipe… and this one is great for a few reasons:
- it tastes like something from starbucks. but it is CHEAP to make. save yourself a few bucks and drink this instead of running out and splurging.
- it is dairy-free, gluten-free, low-fat AND low-carb… making this an awesome go-to for a guilt-free pick-me-up. (THMers, this is a fuel pull. )
- it’s the summer and we like cold coffee drinks!
- it’s EASY!
- it’s adaptable…
with no further adeiu, here it is!
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 6-8 ice cubes
- 1 scoop of protein powder (i used vanilla)
- 1 TBS of unsweetened cocoa powder (or more, if you like it DARK)
- 1/4 cup coffee beans
- stevia extract powder to taste (i used 3 shakes with 4 holes open)
- pinch of salt
- 2 drops Peppermint YLEO (2 drops make the mint taste pretty strong. if you aren’t a huge fan of mint, one drop will do… or no drops at all, if you just want a mocha java chip frappe)
put all of the ingredients into a blender– i use a bullet– and blend until smooth. if you want it to have a “milk chocolate” taste or want to up the “creamy” ante, than add a little bit of heavy cream. of course, that would bump the fat content up (for THMers, it’d make it a S)… but if you aren’t worried about that, knock your socks off.
when i made this the first time and took it out to my hubs (who was pushing our girl in her swing outside <<heartmelt>>), he sipped, his eyes got big, and then he said, “oh yeah. this. this is good.”
how can you not try it after a testimonial like that? 😉
*just as a disclaimer: it is very, VERY important that you use therapeutic-grade oils that can be used internally. unfortunately, most essential oils out there have a bunch of gross additives that aren’t good inside your body. that’s why i only use young living– they are grade A, therapeutic, organic essentials oils that are safe to ingest. to find out more about how i started using them and why, read my story here.